Tuesday Tips – The Whip-It Game
This week we’re focusing on one of the most popular pieces of dog training kit around at the moment: the whip! Our friends at absoluteDOGS love the whip as it’s great for working on skills like impulse control in your dog. They have developed the whip-it game… This involves harnessing your dog’s desire to chase, using a lunge whip with a toy attachment on the end!
First – Animate the Toy
- Firstly you need to animate the toy on the end of the lunge whip and get your dog chasing it along the ground,
- Keep it low and just ahead of your dog. This will be easier for some dogs and some dogs will be more interested than others!
- Persevere! Occasionally your dog will catch the toy – make sure you don’t make it too difficult for them.
- When they release the toy, whip it away again – this increases the desire for the toy and gets their chase instinct going.
Add in Some Control
- The next step is to add in some control.
- When your dog is chasing, flip the toy from side to side until your dog stops still and waits.
- Reward them for stopping chase using whatever their ‘release’ cue is and let them chase again.
- Make sure there is balance between chasing and control, otherwise your dog will lose interest!
- This is a great way of spending time with your dog, improving their self-control and wearing them out at the same time!
So where can you find this kit and start playing? Lunge whips can be picked up cheaply online or in country stores, and our friends at Tug-e-Nuff sell chase tug toy attachments. What are you waiting for?
About the Author: Lauren Langman is responsible for the design and development of all Devon Dogs classes, events and workshops. She competes in Agility at Grade 7, the highest rank of competition in the British agility arena. She regularly competes and wins at top agility events in the UK including Crufts and Olympia, and has represented the UK at World Agility Championship level on many occasions.