Top Tips Setting Personal Boundaries
It is vital that you care for yourself first and foremost. By concentrating on self care you will start to create personal boundaries which affect many aspects of your life. You may already have personal boundaries set up, and if so by revisiting them you will find areas you can strengthen or even renew.
For some of us this may feel a little uncomfortable, as perhaps we have not always focused on ourselves, and our needs. Most of us tend to have our days filled with tasks and responsibilities, decisions that need to be made, and being pulled between demands that are placed on us. Here are my top tips on helping you to decide on the areas you need to focus on for your very own personal boundaries:
- Relaxation and Sleep – what patterns do you follow? How do you relax, and what is your sleep pattern?
- Movement and Fitness – what can you do to ensure your body is in a healthy condition? What do you currently do, and think of 3 things you could do to make a change.
- Diet and Eating Patterns – your dietary needs and attitude to food and drink are really important. List down in detail your current patterns, and think about any small changes you can put into place.
- Habits you want to break – think about any habits you have that you want to stop, or change, and that you find hard to do. These could include alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Is the habit controlling you? Do you want to change it?
- Online demands – such as social media, e-mails etc – assess the time you spend staring at screens, list your pattern – you may be surprised at how much time you actually do spend.
- Interactions with Others – any changes you make, no matter how small, has an affect on others around you. Change can be uncomfortable for them, but it does get easier with practice. Something to keep in mind.
It is important to spend some time going through the above areas, and listing down everything you can think of. This is just the starting point, and the more truthful you are with yourself at this point, will be beneficial in helping you to carry out the steps you need to take in order to put your personal boundaries into place. Watch out for next week’s Monday blog!
I hope you find these tips helpful. It would be good to hear what you think about my ideas, and anything else you have come up with. Tell me what you think by posting your comments below. Why don’t you Share this with your friends and family by clicking the Facebook icon or following us on Twitter?
About the Author: Carole Langman works behind the scenes at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs as the Business Manager. Her office is always a hive of activity, and with the vast amounts of work Carole has, we never really know how she gets through it all! To unwind, she loves gardening, hikes around Bowerland, travelling and writing.