Clever Tidying Solutions by Carole Langman
Don’t try to do it every day, but do it once and do it well!
Have you read Marie Kondo’s great little book about the Magic of Tidying? I loved the book, and now she has a TV programme as well! Can you imagine it, a programme all about tidying! How do you tackle your tidying? Until I read the book, I guess I just did a little bit here and there. But Marie talks about dividing it down to 2 types of tidying, daily use tidying and special event tidying. Today I am going to concentrate on the special event type. For me this means when you put your house in order – the special occasion.
Proper tidying like this should be done just once and from then onwards, making sure you stick to it
If you’re anything like me, this is something that you would love to do, but have always got a reason for not doing it! Most of my rooms tend to look like storage areas. And I find myself moving things around from one room to another, trying to create a better look or squeezing them into a smaller space. Funnily enough, I sometimes find I have ‘doubles’. These are things that I find stored in more than one place. If I get it all out in front of me I am surprised at the huge amount that I hoard. Why do I keep buying the same things? It’s a mystery, but perhaps because everything is scattered throughout the house, without a clear order, it is easy to forget what I have got.
Check out these top tips on tidying:
- Tidy by category, and not by room
- Set aside a day and time that you are going to accomplish this
- Do it all in one go, make it a sudden change, not something you dip into whenever you get a moment
- You need to decide what you are going to keep and what you are going to discard and then make sure you discard all in one go – get it out of the house and out of sight
- Next decision you need to make is where you are going to keep the items you have selected
- Most important to believe that you can do this – believe in yourself
- Fill the space you live in with the things you love – as Marie says, the things that spark joy in your heart
- Make sure each item you keep brings you real joy – don’t keep things out of guilt, because someone bought if for you, or for sentimental reasons, unless of course it sparks joy
- Start with clothes – these are the easiest and less heart wrenching to decide about
But above all, remember that creating the space you want, making that space serene, and peaceful will lead towards achieving the perfect lifestyle for you, which is great fun! Read more of my Monday Motivation Posts HERE.