The Clump Circular Walk at Killerton
Start & Finish: Visitor reception, Stable Block, Killerton Estate, Broadclyst, Exeter, EX5 3LE (Map)
Under an hour away from us here at Bowerland, the Clump Circular dog friendly, 2 mile walk will take you across Front Park and up Dolbury Hill. Climb an extinct volcano. At the top you’ll find an Iron Age hill fort and views across the Exe Valley. Please keep your dog on a lead where we are grazing sheep and ponies, and keep an eye on your dog around wildlife and cattle.
- From the visitor reception, cross the drive and walk through the gate a little way towards the house to enter the field.
- Head towards the large pond.
- Bear right to follow the remains of an old Roman coach road which appears as a dip in the ground.
- Head straight across Front Park, keeping the cricket pitch on your right, and enjoy the view of the house and garden.
- Turn right to pass the cricket pavilion, marked towards Bluebell Gate.
- Keep straight ahead leaving Front Park through a kissing gate to the left.
- Turn right following the sign to Bluebell Gate, climbing up the hill.
- Stop at the bench and take a seat to enjoy views down the River Culm and across the Exe Valley.
Go through Bluebell Gate on your right
- Head through the next kissing gate on your right. This is a beautiful place to see bluebells in the spring.
- Follow the path as it bends up to the left towards another bench.
- Take the right fork in the path to join the main track and continue uphill onto the Clump.
- On the left is the top of Dolbury Hill, the site of an Iron Age hill fort dating back to 406BC.
- The lava rock features in many of the buildings on the Killerton estate including the chapel.
- Stick to the path you are on and continue ahead.
- For a view north east towards the Culm Valley, take a short detour to your left and back again.
- Bear off right on a path downhill to some wooden steps to a kissing gate above the Deer Park.
- Go through the gate.
- Bear right towards a black metal gate.
- Go through this gate, following signs to Stables Cafe and Shop to return back to where this walk started.