Making a Snuffle Mat
A snuffle mat encourages your dog’s natural foraging skills. It is a great way of feeding your dog and turns meal-time into an opportunity for learning and play! Dogs love being given an opportunity to play scenting games.
The whole idea of a snuffle mat is that your dog takes time hunting for their food, just as they would in Nature. This can definitely assist some dogs who seem to inhale their dinner.
Rather than purchase a ready-made snuffle mat, you can make your very own easily and cheaply. It’s a great project for a Sunday afternoon in front of the TV.
To make a snuffle mat you will need:
- a rubber mat with holes (like an outdoor mat)
- polar fleece (or old dog blankets)
- sharp scissors.
- Cut the fleece into strips approx. 2 cm and 20cm long
- Loop a piece of the fleece through two holes and tie in a note.
- Repeat this process until the whole mat is covered.
- Then simply scatter food over the mat and let your dog hunt for their dinner!
Here’s a Youtube link to watch a tutorial video on making a snuffle mat – let us know how you get on and also how your dogs like it! And you can read more of our dog friendly blogs HERE.
About the Author: Lauren Langman is responsible for the design and development of all Devon Dogs classes, events and workshops. She competes in Agility at Grade 7, the highest rank of competition in the British agility arena. She regularly competes and wins at top agility events in the UK including Crufts and Olympia, and has represented the UK at World Agility Championship level on many occasions.