Sharkham Point to Man Sands
Start and Finish: Sharkham Point Car Park (Google Map)
Distance: 4 miles – medium walk
Why not take a trip to Brixham and Man Sands on Devon’s beautiful South Coast? It’s only a 1 hour drive from us here at East Bowerland Farm. Enjoy a beautiful coastal child and dog friendly (on leads please) walk from Sharkham Point, along coastal paths and through quiet streets.
- Starting from Sharkham Point car park take the Coast Path signed St Marys Bay Beach.
- Keep to the left when the path divides to St Marys Bay.
- Steps lead the path around the back of the bay where you will have amazing views of Durl Head and Sharkham Point.
- Cross over a low stile in front of buildings and turn left after 20m into Mudstone Lane and first left into Penn Meadows.
- Keep left at the hospital, then turn right at a T-junction.
- Descend to a crossroads.
- Turn right and, after 100m, left.
- Ahead is an early 19th-century villa, one of several similar buildings in Higher Brixham.
- Follow Higher Brixhams main street, Drew Street and continue to St Marys church.
- Follow Drew Street on to the Watermans Arms.
- A short diversion right leads down Horsepool Street, where there are more buildings of interest, including three old farmhouses.
- Return to Drew Street and continue along it. Turn left opposite a three storey thatched house.
- Climb Southdown Hill Road. Ignore side turnings.
- Reaching Southdown Farm, continue ahead on the footpath signed Southdown Lane Man Sands.
- At a junction, keep left on Man Sands Lane down to the beach of pebbles and shingle, with sand at low tide.
- Turn north and follow the Coast Path steeply up the flank of Southdown Cliff.
- Take a minute to look back at an amazing view of Man Sands flanked by Crabrock Point.
- Continue towards Sharkham Point, there is a memorial which recalls the faithful dog, Murdoch.
- Follow the Coast Path around the point.
- Continue until you meet the path you started out on at a gate.
- Turn left and retrace your steps to the car park.