Easy Steps for Self-Care in the Festive Season by Carole Langman
Christmas and New Year is a time that is full of fun, and often full of family and friends, and always busy, busy, busy! It can also at times feel overwhelming, stressful and pressured.
A few easy tips to help you to look after you over Christmas.
- Find time in your busy schedule to stop, take a breather, and take yourself away. Even just for 10 minutes. You will be surprised at how this will re-energise you, just by simply taking this time out for yourself.
- Step outside and breathe in the fresh air. Place your feet firmly on the ground, and feel the energy of the earth from the bottom of your feet, right up to the top of your head.
- Take in some deep breaths, breathe in for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts and breathe out for 8 counts. This will calm your mind, and focus your thoughts.
- Find a peaceful corner and simply relax, if you can, take a 10 minute cat nap, but if not, just rest and relax. Or better still, do a 10 minute meditation – Calm is an excellent app for this.
- Write a list of what you want to achieve that day, but make it a realistic list, not something that is huge and unachievable.
- Go for a short, brisk walk, kicking up the leaves, striding out with purpose.
Whatever steps you take, and whatever you do to make sure you take time out for self care, Christmas is a time that you need to top up your energy bank. Much of your energy will be taken up with all the preparations, with everything you do for others, and sometimes it is easy to forget about yourself. If you are mindful and keep on top of your energy bank balance, it will sustain you through this very busy period. We all need micro moments of nurturing throughout the day.
Keep well, keep focused and don’t forget to think about yourself!