Sardine & Sweet Potato Stuffed Kongs
There’s nothing nicer for a dog than a super treat that lasts and takes a bit of effort. This week’s recipe uses sardine and sweet potatoes, but there are many variations. Frozen Kongs are wonderful for all dogs, but especially if your dog had surgery and/or has limited mobility. They are also great to keep puppies occupied! If you prefer not use to Kongs, try hooves instead.
- 1 x tin of sardines in spring water
- 3 x sweet potatoes
- *for variation, add some kale
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small chunks.
- Put the sweet potatoes on to boil, cook until they have gone soft.
- Strain the sweet potatoes and mash them
- Open the tin of sardines and strain excess liquid.
- Add to sweet potato mash and mix thoroughly.
- Stuff kong or hoof with the mixture and freeze.
- The mixture will be large enough to stuff more than one kong.
- It can remain in a bowl in the fridge for up to week.
About the Author: Kelly Murrell helps out with some of the work in the office at Devon Dogs, particularly with marketing and advertising. She used to work in the office at East Bowerland Farm, but recently moved to Vancouver Island, Canada with her husband. She is an avid dog trainer and regularly posts dog training tips for Devon Dogs, Bowerland and Progressive Paws.