Port Quin to Lundy Bay
Start and Finish: Port Quin Car Park, PL29 3SU (Map)
Starting from the beautiful fishing village of Port Quin, this 2.9 mile, moderate route follows the edge of the natural harbour to the folly at Doyden Point. From there the path passes the mineshafts, on its way to Trevan Point which is now grazed by Dartmoor Ponies. The path then descends to the beaches of Epphaven Cove and Lundy Bay. The return to Port Quin begins beside the collapsed cave and crosses fields via Porteath Bee Centre to join a small lane to Port Quin.
- From the corner of the car park nearest the buildings, follow the path alongside the stream towards the sea and onto the lane.
- Then turn left and follow the lane uphill until, just past Trevose House, you reach some steps leading to a slate stile on your right.
- Cross the stile and keep right to follow the path downhill.
- Follow the path past a waymark on the edge of the inlet until you reach a waymark signposted to Epphaven.
- At the waymark, follow the path ahead waymarked to Epphaven to reach a track by a pillar.
- Follow the path opposite to the mineshaft, fenced with a ring of upright slates.
- From the mineshaft, continue along the coast path, through a pair of gates, until you reach a stile at Trevan Point.
- Cross the stile and follow either of the paths ahead, which join after a short distance.
- Follow the path down the valley until you reach a waymark to Epphaven.
- At the waymark, keep right along the coast path and descend into the valley beside the beach (Epphaven Cove), to reach another waymark.
- Continue ahead on the coast path, through the gate, in the direction waymarked to The Rumps.
- Follow the waymarked path until you reach a waymark signposted to Pentire Point and Porteath at the next beach (Lundy Bay).
- Turn left onto the path waymarked to Porteath and follow it until it eventually ends at a stile.
- Cross the stile and bear left slightly to the highest point of the field to reach a waymarked gate in the middle of the far hedge.
- Go through the gate and follow the left hedge of the field to a waymarked gate just before the buildings.
- Go through the gate and bear right onto a track.
- Follow the track until you reach the Bee Centre car park.
- Exit the car park, past the Bee Centre and over the cattle grid, to reach a gap in the hedge on your left, just before the main road.
- Go through gap in the hedge (if overgrown, you may be able to go through the gate instead if open) and bear left to follow the track along the fence to a gate.
- Go through this into the main area of the field then follow along the left hedge to a gateway.
- Go through the gate and follow the left hedge to a stile.
- Cross the stile and turn left onto the lane. Follow it back to Port Quin.
Read more of our Wednesday Walks HERE.