Plains Walk at Killerton
Start & Finish: Stable Block, Killerton Estate, Broadclyst, Exeter EX5 3LE (Map)
Just under an hour away from Bowerland, this moderate, two mile dog-friendly walk reveals much of Killerton’s wider parkland. The Plains have breathtaking views and open spaces where you will notice an abundance of wildlife once you stop, breathe and take everything in.
- Turn right out of visitor reception and take the first right uphill and continue the steep climb.
- At the crossroads continue straight and go through the black metal gate on your right following sign to Deer Park and The Plains.
- Go straight following an old carriageway before turning left to follow a track up past the quarry. Continue on this path as it swings left above Deer Park with views over the Culm Valley. Go through a gate to reach the open expanse of The Plains.
- At the top of The Plains follow the grassy track to the right. It passes through the middle of The Plains. Ignore any paths to the right. Keep a look out for the hawthorn tree overwhelmed by a birch tree. After an enormous crashed sycamore, head towards the back of The Plains to reach a magnificent willow tree that looks split in two.
- Head across the squeeze bridge and into Park Wood. Turn left along the track following sign to Deodar Glen.
- Continue along this path passing Irishman’s Gate. Take the left hand fork marked Deodar Glen Ridge and The Clump. The path offers glimpsed views through the cedars. Follow the path around then turn left uphill to a gate.
- Turn left back into The Plains. Continue ahead, turn right through a kissing gate and continue slightly right to an open glade with a log picnic circle. Turn left and climb The Clump over an Iron Age hill fort to the high point among the giant redwoods. Drop down to a track with great views.
- Turn right and follow the track back around The Clump. Follow the path along the edge of the garden, heading downhill.
- Follow the track down and right. Go through a kissing gate, take the next left to go through Bluebell Gate, marked to Front Park. Keep left and follow the path downhill.
- A kissing gate will be on the left. Go through the gate and into Front Park, following signs to Stables Cafe and Shop, continuing straight ahead to reach the house and return to where this walk started.
Read more Wednesday Walks HERE.