Padstow to Harbour Cove Walk
Start & Finish: Padstow Harbour Commissioners Car Park, Padstow, PL28 8BL (Map)
Just over an hour away from us here at Bowerland, you will find the beautiful quaint fishing village of Padstow. This moderate 3.1 mile walk begins at the harbour and then winds it’s way through Padstow’s streets to reach the ancient church and Prideaux Place, once the site of St Petroc’s monastery.
The walk continues via Tregirls Farm to the Doom Bar where hundreds of ships have been wrecked. On your return to Padstow you will take in the beaches of Harbour Cove, Hawker’s Cove and St George’s Cove. These all merge to make a vast golden sandy beach at low tide offering an alternative to the Coast Path.
- Start your walk by following the edge of the harbour along to the Chough Bakery.
- Turn left down the narrow passage between the bakery and Pucellis (black bollards are at either end) follow until it ends opposite the Padstow Institute.
- Take a left turn and follow the road for a short distance until you reach a junction to the right into Lanadwell Street at Stein’s Pattiserie.
- Turn right into Lanadwell Street and past the London Inn where you’ll reach a junction by the Golden Lion. Turn right beside the Golden Lion and follow Middle Street until it ends in a T-junction.
- Turn left and follow the lane to a fork at the Cross House Hotel. Keep left at the fork and follow Church Street past St Petroc’s church until you reach a junction on your left, Tregirls Lane.
- Make a right turn at the junction passing Prideaux Place on your left and follow the lane through the arch until the lane ends at Tregirls Farm.
- Once you reach the end of the lane, walk to the sign on the building ahead then turn right to reach a stile beside the gate. Go through the gate or over the stile and turn left onto a track, follow this along two fields. At the end of the second field you will reach a waymark to your right.
- Keep following the track past a waymark on the left until the track bends sharply to the left and a small path departs to the right between the bushes into the dunes, just before the track reaches a large conifer tree.
- Bear right onto a small path leading into the dunes and continue a short distance to reach a crossing of paths. At the crossing you can turn right along either of the paths, across the dunes to eventually join the coast path. Make your way around Gun Point to the tiny wooded valley at St George’s Cove, either along the path or beach. If you go via the beach continue around the headland past Gun Point and turn right to head inland between the trees up the idle of the valley, then turn left where the path ends.
- From St George’s Cove continue up the estuary along the coast path to a waymark in front of the War Memorial. Go through the gate ahead and past the Memorial to the gate on the other side.
- Once through the gate, follow the left, lower path until you reach junction where another surfaced path departs to the left.
- Follow the path ahead until you reach the harbour.
- Continue ahead following the harbour edge to return to the car park.
Read more of our Wednesday Walks HERE.