Okehampton Deer Park Circuit
Okehampton Deer Park Circuit is a 4.5 miles moderate walk, and only a stone’s throw from Bowerland. It would be a shame to miss it while you are here.
This walk leaves Okehampton, passing the remains of medieval longhouses and the Deer Park hunting lodge. Descending back to Okehampton, it joins onto the West Devon Way, passing through Old Town Park Local Nature Reserve, close to Okehampton Castle. Definitely a worthwhile diversion!
You will pass over varied terrain including green lanes, fields, woodlands and tracks. The surface is uneven, and can be very wet and muddy! There is a fairly steep climb near the beginning and at the end. But the middle part is a steady descent.
The walk starts at the Okehampton YHA car park near the train station, which was built in the 1870’s,
- From the station forecourt go left along the bridleway opposite the entrance,
- At the end turn left and go over the railway and the A30.
- Immediately after the road bridge take the footpath on the right, and proceed down the lane.
- Follow this as it bends then leaves the lane via a stile and a gate.
- Keep going straight ahead, past the cottage, and then just follow the path.
Although it can be tough-going, it’s a lovely walk and easy to follow. The circular route will bring you right back to your starting point. You can now take advantage of the dog-friendly train platform and the wonderful café, which serves delicious food and cakes.
You will need to make sure your dogs are kept under control while on this walk and, this is something we can definitely help you with at Devon Dogs with one of our expert trainers. Call or text us on 07717 696623, or email us at: HERE. You can also check out our website: www.devondogs.co.uk.