Beating the Winter Blues by Carole Langman
Now that Winter seems to have set in, the frosty mornings and dark evenings, the drop in temperature, not a lot of sunlight around, how do you keep positive? The rundown to the end of the year, with Christmas on the horizon and all the stresses and pressures that can bring, can be a difficult time. But there are many things you can do to cheer you up on these cold winter days.
Here are some of my tips that help me to be bright and cheerful:
- Keep Active – even if all you can manage is just a 15 minute work-out on You Tube. I have recently found a raft of videos just relating to stretching! And there are some great Yoga and Pilates exercises to follow.
- Try Meditating, or having at least a ten minute quiet time, just for yourself. You will be surprised at the benefits you gain from just 10 minutes a day. There are lots of apps out there to choose from to help you get started.
- Journal Writing – try writing about your day, your feelings, anything that comes into your mind. Writing it all down is very therapeutic and helps you to put things into perspective. Something magical happens when we put our feelings into words that only we can see. It helps to calm our anxieties.
- Listening to Music. Music is a great leveller, from the classics right through to modern pop, music can cheer us up and helps us to put our woeful thoughts into the background of our minds.
- Create a Daily Mantra. Something inspiring and motivating, to help shift you into a positive frame of mind. It could be something as simple as “Be easy on yourself and others;” or, “Be joyful, be happy.” It doesn’t have to be complicated or long winded, just something that spurs you on.
I hope you find these tips helpful. It would be good to hear what you think about my ideas, and anything else you have come up with. Tell me what you think by posting your comments below. Why don’t you Share this with your friends and family by clicking the Facebook icon or following us on Twitter?
About the Author: Carole Langman works behind the scenes at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs as the Business Manager. Her office is always a hive of activity, and with the vast amounts of work Carole has, we never really know how she gets through it all! To unwind, she loves gardening, hikes around Bowerland, travelling and writing.