Looking After Yourself – Top Tips
How do you look after yourself? Do you treat yourself the same way as you treat your close friends and family, with kindness and care? Or do you ignore your own needs? Do you plod on regardless, never giving yourself a break? Or do you put your feet up and relax when you feel tired?
If you are anything like me, perhaps you just carry on working through and helping everyone else, ignoring your own personal needs? It is an interesting phenomenon – why don’t we look after ourselves in the same way as we care for others? What do you think? Is it that we don’t feel we are worthy of time spent on ourselves? Or are we just ignoring what our body and mind is trying to tell us? But all that is about to change!
Here are my Top Tips on changing your mindset – because by changing how you see and feel about yourself, you will start to look after your own needs better.
- Live in the present – keep your mind in the present – don’t look back to the past with regrets or feel anxious about the future.
- Take regular time out for yourself (every day if possible). This time is just for you to sit and relax or reflect on the day. Furthermore, one way of settling your mind is to meditate.
- Write through your issues or problems. Start a journal and write something every day. It need only be for 10 minutes, as long as it is regular.
- Go out into the fresh air, visit the countryside or seaside if you can. We are fortunate here at Bowerland, there are so many beautiful spots on Dartmoor.
- Start something new. Now and again it is good to do something different, something that you have thought about but not yet given it a go.
- Meet up with a friend, if only for a quick cuppa and a chat. We need to connect with people, it is how we function.
Finally, once you get into the routine of looking after yourself in this way, by giving yourself this time, whether you follow any of the above tips, or whether you have personal tips of your own, you will find yourself looking forward to it every day.
I would love to hear what you think about my ideas, and anything else you have come up with. Tell me what you think by posting your comments below. Why don’t you Share this with your friends and family by clicking the Facebook icon or following us on Twitter?
About the Author: Carole Langman works behind the scenes at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs as the Business Manager. Her office is always a hive of activity, and with the vast amounts of work Carole has, we never really know how she gets through it all! To unwind, she loves gardening, hikes around Bowerland, travelling and writing.