Meaningful Ways to Boost Your Immune System
Your immune system is a whole systems network consisting of cells, organs, proteins and antibodies that work to protect you against bacteria and viruses. Most of the time we don’t even think about our immune systems, especially when we feel well. But our immune system is actually working in the background each and every day to keep us safe. Our body’s first line of defence is our immune system.
This system relies on a regular supply of micronutrients. Vitamins and minerals are nutrients your body needs in small amounts to help it to work properly and for you to stay healthy. There are many too choose from, too numerous to mention here, but these are some that I am focusing on at the moment:
- Vitamin C (known as ascorbic acid) helps to protect cells and keeps them healthy as well as to improve the body’s ability to fight off germs
- Vitamins A, B6, B12 D & E helps your body’s natural defence against illness and infection and are so important, (make sure you eat plenty of nuts, seeds, egs and oily fish to maximise your intake)
- Copper produces red and white blood cells and triggers the release of iron
- Selenium as well as helping the immune system to work properly, also prevents damage to cells and tissue
To function well, your immune system requires balance and harmony. Your first line of defence is to choose a healthy lifestyle.
My top tips to help you find ways to boost your immune system:
- Get a good night’s sleep. This helps to ward off infection. Sleep also helps to boost our cell integrin receptors, which allow our immune system to respond quickly and efficiently.
- Keep your blood sugar levels well controlled, especially if you have diabetes. So as well as cutting down on all sugar products, it will help if you reduce your carb intake as this helps to improve blood sugar levels.
- Exercise regularly. Try to fit in at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5 times a week. Get your heart rate up, break into a sweat! There are lots of video links to help you exercise indoors at the moment.
- Cut out stress as much as you can, try to find ways to chill out and relax. One of the worse things for ruining our immune systems is stress. We’re more likely to pick up infections if we’re run down and feeling pressured.
- Maintain a healthy diet, make sure you eat plenty of fruit, vegetables and fibre and keep your weight under control. Drink plenty of water on a regular basis and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Wash your hands frequently, and especially after you have been out and about.
It All Helps…
If you follow these tips, you can make several lifestyle and dietary changes today to strengthen your immune system, which will benefit you for years to come. Make a start, make a plan, and stick to it. Allow yourself the time to make these changes, set up new routines focusing on you and your health. Take time to sit, daydream, read, meditate – whatever relaxes you. Get your fresh air each day, even just popping outside for 10 minutes, feel the sun on your body, the wind on your face… It all helps.
Read more of my Monday blogs HERE.