Make Tidying a Special Occasion by Carole Langman
Don’t try to do it every day, but do it once and do it well!
To be honest though, there are 2 types of tidying, daily use tidying and special event tidying. I am going to concentrate on the special event type. The time when you put your house in order – the special occasion. Proper tidying like this should be done just once and from then onwards, making sure you stick to it.
If you’re anything like me, this is something that you would love to do, but have always got a reason for not doing it! Most of my rooms tend to look like storage areas. And I find myself moving things around from one room to another, trying to create a better look or squeezing them into a smaller space. Funnily enough, I sometimes find I have ‘doubles’. These are things that I find stored in more than one place. If I get it all out in front of me I am surprised at the huge amount that is there. Why do I keep buying the same things? It’s a mystery, but perhaps because everything is scattered throughout the house, without a clear order, it is easy to forget what I have got.
Here are my top tips on tidying:
- Tidy by category, and not by room
- Set aside a day and time that you are going to accomplish this
- Do it all in one go, make it a sudden change
- You need to decide what you are going to keep and what you are going to discard and then make sure you discard all in one go
- Next decision is where you are going to keep it
- Believe in yourself – you can do this
- Fill the space you live in with the things you love
- Make sure each item you keep brings you joy
- Start with clothes – these are the easiest
But above all, creating the space you want, making it serene, peaceful and the perfect lifestyle for you, is fun!
I hope you find these tips helpful. It would be good to hear what you think about my ideas, and anything else you have come up with. Tell me what you think by posting your comments below. Why don’t you Share this with your friends and family by clicking the Facebook icon or following us on Twitter?