Kingswear in South Devon
This week we have another coastal walk, from picturesque Kingswear on the South Devon Coast! At 6 miles in length and with steep gradients this is a trickier walk than some of the others we featured recently.
To begin, head to the Darthaven Marina car park. Once you have parked, turn right to leave and walk down past Kingswear station and the Royal Dart Hotel.
The hotel has a lot of history that’s worth reading up on – for example, it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy during World War II and housed several boats. Follow the coastal path next to the hotel through an arch and up some stairs before turning right and sticking to the path.
- When you reach a sign for Froward Point and a plaque commemorating Lt Col Jones, VC OBE (of Falklands War fame), turn right and descend down the path to a small building before ascending up a steep hill towards Brownstone Battery (which is well worth a look around if you have the time!).
- Follow the stony track towards High Brownstone car park, then turn right onto the link to Coast Path and stay on here for 1 mile.
- Turn left onto a path signed Car Parks, and stay on it as it becomes uphill steps and joins a track with a hedge on your left. You could opt to visit Coleton Fishacre here, which is home to many exotic plants and trees in its garden.
- Turn left when you reach the lane, which is signposted for Brownstone car park.
- This lane will then become a public footpath. Keep going as it descends and ascends and leads to a tarred drive.
- This drive will eventually lead you back to the signpost for Froward Point from before. From here, retrace your steps back to the car park at Kingswear.
Read more of our beautiful Wednesday Walks in Devon HERE.