Healthy Living Part 2 by Carole Langman
Continuing on the theme of healthy living for 2017, I have been thinking about what helps me to build a strong and healthy self. There is a lot of advice around, but do we actually take note of it? There are some basic aspects of our life that we can change, quite simply, without going through major upheaval. I am starting with two of the most fundamental elements of daily life.
Getting a good night’s sleep provides you with a good start to the day. This is probably one of the most important, yet basic, aspects of your health, and it is something you can help to control. The alternative, not having a good night’s sleep, can affect your immune system, make you tired and lethargic, as well as effect your happiness and well being. So, here are my tips to help you to get a good night’s sleep:
- Prepare yourself by getting into the right mood for sleep, i.e calm and peaceful.
- Develop a routine, for example try to go to bed at a similar time every night.
- Make sure your room is warm, but not too warm.
- Do not take your mobile, laptop, or watch tv in bed.
- If you can’t fall to sleep, or you wake up in the night and can’t get back to sleep, go to another room and try to read for 20/30 minutes. Then go back to bed. This should help.
We tend to overeat if we are doing something else as well as eating. We often read, watch tv, or talk to friends at the same time. This can mean that we shovel down our food much too quickly, or the alternative, we pick at our food, not really enjoying what we are eating. Here are my tips in helping you to eat healthily and mindfully:
- Make meal times an occasion. Sit down at a table and focus entirely on the food you are eating. Do not get distracted from your food.
- Cut down on processed food, cut out the sugar in your diet.
- Get back to a diet full of wholesome quality food rather than processed or fast food. It is common knowledge that food that has been processed has lost most of its nutrients and goodness.
- Try to shop for locally produced food, it is a great feeling to buy your provisions from your local butcher, baker and grocer (if you are lucky to have them nearby).
- Drink plenty of water during the day, make that your mission!
Next week we will focus on exercise, movement and metabolism and how you can help to boost yours! I would be very interested to hear about your thoughts on Healthy Living. Have you got a clear idea and game plan yet, if so, what is on it? Tell me what you think by posting your comments below. Why don’t you Share this with your friends and family by clicking the Facebook icon or following us on Twitter?
About the Author: Carole Langman works behind the scenes at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs as the Business Manager. Her office is always a hive of activity, and with the vast amounts of work Carole has, we never really know how she gets through it all! To unwind, she loves gardening, hikes around Bowerland, travelling and writing.