Goal Setting – My Top Tips
Do you set yourself goals and targets?
Goal setting is the process of deciding what we want to accomplish and putting together a plan to achieve the desired result. However, I believe that the most important benefit of actually setting ourselves a goal, isn’t always to achieve it. We can also learn something about ourselves simply by starting the process. Believe it or not, it’s more about what we do, and how we go about it that matters!
One Goal at a time
A key ingredient for success is to try to achieve one goal at a time. It can be easy to spread ourselves too thinly across many areas by setting multiple goals. This often results in not actually achieving anything at all, combined with a feeling of frustration with the whole process. It can become overwhelming, where all we want to do is give up on the goal!
Having a target to reach, with milestones along the way becomes critical in our ability to achieve what we want. Most people know what they want to do and they’re perfectly willing to work on it, but have difficulty creating a plan to get there. Here are my top tips:
1. Decide on a Goal
What is currently most important? What springs to mind when you ask yourself the following question;
- Is there anything I would like to change in my life at the moment?
- For example, you want to lose weight. This could be your goal.
2. Plan how to achieve the goal
Put in the steps you will take. It’s best to break it down into manageable chunks – it won’t happen all at once. For example:
- Make a weekly to-do list for all meal planning that sets out a week at a time
- Purchase food in advance to help you prepare for healthy meals
- Make sure you don’t have any of your favourite ‘fattening’ foods in the house
- Change your routine with regards to bad habits, ie chocolate biscuits with morning coffee
- Think more healthily
- Drink more water
- Move around more
- Exercise whenever and wherever it is possible
3. Visualise achieving your goal, for example:
- See yourself at your new weight
- Imagine yourself feeling comfortable in how you dress and how you look
- Picture how you will feel about yourself
- Think about how proud you will be of your achievements
- Imagine how strong your willpower is going to be
Goal setting is so much more than just saying we want things to change. We need to clearly understand what is important at this moment in our life and then work out exactly what we want to achieve. If we are clear at the outset, our chances of success will be higher.
By following the top tips on Goal Setting you can confidently set yourself goals appropriate to you. And reap the benefits and satisfaction that comes along with knowing you have achieved what you set out to do.
Check out more of my Monday Motivation Blogs HERE.
About the Author: Carole Langman works behind the scenes at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs as the Business Manager. Her office is always a hive of activity, and with the vast amounts of work Carole has, we never really know how she gets through it all! To unwind, she loves gardening, hikes around Bowerland, travelling and writing.