Fatherford, near Okehampton
Fancy a moderate to hard walk near Okehampton that will take you just over an hour? You will enjoy visiting Fatherford viaduct, where you will actually see three bridges, and the East Okemont River which flows merrily below, and some interesting sights along the way.
- Go through Okehampton and turn right at the sign for Tor Down and Riding Stables.
- Go straight on at the junction and park at the end of the slope.
- Go through the gate and over Charlotte’s Bridge (the first of the bridges).
- Turn left through the gate and follow the river up the valley.
- Cross the bridge on your left and follow the other river up the valley, keeping the river on your left.
- After climbing up the rocky steps by the waterfall, look for a wooden way marker and turn right up a very steep hill.
- Follow the path going through the bracken and the field.
- At the wooden way marker post, turn right and drop down the steep slope and cross the river using the stepping stones.
- Turn right and follow the river back to the car, keeping the river on your right all the way back. Not for the faint-hearted!