Clever Solutions to help you Rest and Relax
Rest is one component of Self-Care that is often overlooked. Many people simply do not realise just how important rest and relaxation (including sleep) are and the role it can play in your health and well being. For example, we need sleep for the health of our nervous and our immune systems. And rest is absolutely crucial for all cell renewal. Therefore, if you think about it, the best way to start any healing process is through sleep, and that includes rest and relaxation.
When we are experiencing periods of high level stress and pressure, our bodies are filled with stress hormones. These are just the exact moments that we need to make sure we make time for extra rest and relaxation. To think about ways to calm and create peace within ourselves. To consider your breathing, and to make conscious commitments on breathing slowly and carefully.
There are a number of ways in which we can unwind
- Yoga – and in particular restorative yoga
- Meditation – there are numerous small, simple ways we can meditate
- Mantras and repetitions – you can create positive statements that you repeat to yourself throughout the day, decide on the ones that work best for you
- Guided relaxations – is one of the easiest ways to enter into a state of deep relaxation and inner stillness
- Other relaxation tools – whatever relaxes you. This could include TV programmes or watching films, listening to music or reading books. Simply put, whatever works for you
- Gentle exercise -these are the exercise routines that you can do without having to attend a gym or class
Remember, rest and relaxation techniques takes practice
As with any skill, your ability to relax improves with practice. Try to be patient with yourself and if one relaxation technique doesn’t work for you, try something different. Relaxation isn’t only about peace of mind or enjoying a hobby. Relaxation is a process that decreases the effects of stress on your mind and body and are a vital part of Self-Care.
Check out more of my Monday Motivation Blogs HERE. Follow me on my path of Self-Care. And don’t forget to let me know what you do in order to look after yourself. Next week we will talk about Daily Micro moments you can put into place to better care for yourself.
About the Author: Carole Langman works behind the scenes at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs as the Business Manager. Her office is always a hive of activity, and with the vast amounts of work Carole has, we never really know how she gets through it all! To unwind, she loves gardening, hikes around Bowerland, travelling and writing.