Circular Walk to Polzeath around Pentire Point
Start and Finish from: Pentireglaze lead mines, Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL276QY (Map)
- Distance: 4.2 miles/6.7 km
- The path around Rumps Point is quite rocky
- Route includes paths close to unfenced cliff edges, so please keep your dog on a lead
- Beaches with seasonal dog restrictions: Pentireglaze Haven, Polzeath
Just an hour away from us here at Bowerland down the A30 this breathtaking circular walk starts near the coast at the Lead Mines National Trust car park and heads out onto the coast path. This beautiful coastal route take you onto Com Head, where there is a stunning view of Port Isaac Bay. The coast path continues to Rumps Point, where you can walk through the Iron Age fortifications to the twin headlands, then continue to Pentire Point, where there are views across the Camel Estuary, and on to the beach at Pentireglaze. The route finally heads inland at New Polzeath along lanes towards Pentire Farm to complete the circular walk.
- To start you walk follow the path beside the map in the Lead Mines car park over the hill and into a small field.
- Cross this to the opposite corner to reach a gate.
- Go through the gate and at the waymark, turn left towards The Rumps and follow the coast path through a gate and up the steps to the top of a hill where a path leads off to the right onto the top of Com Head.
- Once you reach the path onto Com Head, keep left to stay on the coast path until you reach a gate.
- Go through the gate and continue on the coast path to reach another gate above some sandy beaches.
- Go through the gate and continue towards the headland until you reach another gate across the path, head through the gate and bear right through the gap in the ramparts of the cliff fort, onto the headland to where the path forks.
- Take the path on the right then keep right towards the rightmost headland until you reach a rock pillar on the headland.
- Follow the path around the end of the headland to reach the back of an inlet.
- Follow the path around the inlet, keeping right along the coast to a rock outcrop at the start of the second headland.
- Bear left on the path uphill, then turn right onto the path heading between the rocky outcrops.
- Bear left between the rock outcrops to reach the top of the headland.
- Once at the top of the headland, continue to bear left around the rock outcrop until you find the path.
- Follow this back between the ramparts to the coast path.
- At the coast path, turn right and follow it until you reach a waymark for Pentire Farm.
- Ignore the waymarked path leading inland to Pentire Farm and follow the coast path ahead.
- Pass through a waymarked gate and continue to reach a small waymark on the corner of a wall.
- From the waymark on the wall, continue along the coast path to the rock outcrop on the headland.
- From the rock outcrop, follow the coast path around the headland and into the bay towards Polzeath, passing though some pedestrian gates in fences along the way until you reach a waymark at the back of the narrow inlet of Pentire Haven.
- Once at the waymark, keep right in the direction signposted to Polzeath until you reach a gate at the bottom of the steps at the next inlet of Pentireglaze Haven.
- Go through a gate and follow the path until you reach a waymark.
- At the waymark, turn left and follow the track towards Pentireglaze until you reach a bend in the track.
- Where the track bends back on itself, bear left onto the footpath until you reach a gate with a National Trust Pentireglaze sign.
- Go through the gate into a field and follow the fence on the right to a gate opposite.
- Once through the gate, follow the track along the fence on the right to another gate opposite.
Go through the gate and follow the path through another gate mid-way along to reach a final gate onto the lane.
- Turn left onto the lane and follow it up the hill to a junction at the top.
- At the top of the hill, turn left, signposted to the Lead Mines car park.
- Turn right into the Lead Mines car park to complete the circular walk.