Circular Walk to Rough Tor & Brown Willy
Start & Finish: Roughtor car park
Parking: Rough Tor Car Park, Roughtor Road, Camelford PL32 9QG (Map).
Just under 45 minutes away from us here at Bowerland, this walk climbs to the summit of Rough Tor, via the Holy Well, and follows the ridge Showery Tor, where you can stop and take in the spectacular views to the North Cornish coast. The walk then drops into the valley and climbs to the top of Brown Willy. Your return route circles the base of Rough Tor, through the remains of prehistoric settlements overlooking the Fernacre stone circle.
This is a 5.2 mile dog friendly walk, there are two stiles during the walk and you will need to lift your dog over one of them. Please note dogs must be kept on a lead between 1st March and 31st July.
- Roughtor – Bodmin Moor’s most rugged and iconic tor
- Weather-sculpted granite on the top of Showery Tor
- Spectacular panoramic views from the summits of Roughtor and Brown Willy
- Cairns, stone circles and other remnants of ancient Neolithic civilization
- Brown Willy – the highest point in Cornwall
- Bronze Age hut circles, field systems and enclosures
- From the car park head through the gate to the bridge over the stream.
- Cross the bridge and follow the stony track ahead until it peters out.
- Take the furthest left of the grassy tracks, heading towards the middle two rock stacks on the skyline.
- Follow the track to where it bends sharply to the left.
- Bear right off the track and head towards the line of reeds in from of Rough Tor on your right. Be careful crossing the marshy area near the track.
- Follow the reed-lined brook upstream to where the spring emerges from Roughtor Holy Well.
- Make your way to the top of Rough Tor from the Holy Well. The easiest place to climb is onto the ridge just to the left of the summit, then follow along the ridge to the very top.
- From the top of Rough Tor, turn back on yourself and follow the ridge to next largest rock stack (Little Rough Tor).
- Continue along the ridge to Showery Tor – the isolated leftmost granite stack at the far end of the ridge.
- Turn right at Showery Tor and follow along the line of rocks, keeping them on your right.
- Pass a pile of rocks to your right and continue following along the rocks to reach the end of the rock stacks.
- Once you reach the end of the rocks, turn right and head along the side of the valley until you pick up the wide path leading into the valley towards Brown Willy.
- Follow the path until you reach a bridge at the bottom of the valley where the path heads up to Brown Willy.
- Cross over the bridge and stile and follow the path uphill from the bridge to reach another stile.
- Cross this stile and continue uphill to reach the trig point beside the cain on the top Brown Willy.
- From the trig point, continue along the top of the ridge along the several small peaks of Brown Willy to reach the cain on the southernmost peak.
- From the southern cain on Brown Willy, double back on the bridge at the bottom of the valley.
- From the bridge, keep left to follow the path parallel to the wall then bear left to skirt around the base of Rough Tor, keeping it on your right. Once the car part comes back into view then join the path leading to the bridge.