Top Tips – Changing Bad Habits
Bad habits aren’t good for you!
Bad Habits can change your lifestyle and prevent you from accomplishing your goals. They can ruin your health — both mentally and physically – and waste a lot of precious time and energy.
So, why do we still do them?
Boredom is one of the reasons why people form bad habits. Stress is another – this is a biggie for me! Most of the time, bad habits are simply a way of dealing with the pressures of life. Everything you do, from biting your nails to wasting time on the internet or mobile phone, can be a simple response to stress and boredom. Many people turn to smoking and drinking to try and alleviate their problems, but it doesn’t work. And you can’t get rid of a bad habit, you have to replace it.
Here are my Top Tips to change your habits:
- Every time you feel a cue/trigger, make a note – then cut out as many triggers as possible
- Substitute your routine, change your response behaviour. For example, if you like to smoke with a cup of coffee, stop drinking coffee and drink healthy fruit juices instead
- Look for something that provides a quick physical stimulation which produces a physical response such as breathing exercises, a walk around the garden, and make it positive and enjoyable
- Join up with someone else, either one person, or better still, a group of people who also want to give up the habit. There is something really powerful about group belief and shared experiences
- Belief in your ability to change is critical, it really helps if you believe that change is really possible – and this can be a lot easier if you share your struggles within a group, or with other people
The brain can be reprogrammed. You need to plan and execute a deliberate action instead. A bad habit needs to be replaced, but you cannot totally get rid of it. The habit is always there, you just need to figure out a different routine that will satisfy the cravings. Give it a go, and let me know how you get on!
Check out more of my Monday Motivation Blogs HERE. I hope you find these tips helpful. It would be good to hear what you think about my ideas, and anything else you have come up with. Tell me what you think by posting your comments below. Why don’t you Share this with your friends and family by clicking the Facebook icon or following us on Twitter?
About the Author: Carole Langman works behind the scenes at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs as the Business Manager. Her office is always a hive of activity, and with the vast amounts of work Carole has, we never really know how she gets through it all! To unwind, she loves gardening, hikes around Bowerland, travelling and writing.