Bude to Northcott Mouth Walk
Start and Finish: Bude Tourist Info Car Park, EX23 8LE (Map)
This easy 3.5 miles walk is only 40 minutes away from us here at Bowerland. This beautiful walk passes Bude Castle and heads towards Summerleaze beach to reach the coast above Bude Sea Pool. Follow the route via the Coast Path to the beaches of Maer and Northcott Mouth. Returning to Bude is quick and easy, along bridleways and through the town and following the River Neet to complete the circular route.
- Cross the car park to the Post Office. Follow Ergue-Gaberic Way from the Post Office to the Parkhouse Centre entrance.
- At the Parkhouse Centre entrance, keep right and follow Ergue-Gaberic Way to reach a footbridge over the river.
- Cross the footbridge then cross over the lane and climb the steps, then turn left to reach the path. Follow this until it ends on a lane opposite some railings.
- Cross the lane and take the path behind the railings. Follow the path until it ends on a lane opposite Atlantic House.
- Turn left and follow the lane past Atlantic House until you reach the end of the lane where a path with a large metal post in the centre departs ahead.
- Follow the path ahead and continue until it forks around a grassy island. Take either of the paths around the grassy island then after it, take the rightmost of the surfaced paths until you reach the lifeguard hut for Bude Sea Pool.
- Turn right at the lifeguard hut and follow the surfaced path behind the sea pool and across the cliffs to reach another lifeguard hut and then a number of beach huts. Go down the steps in front of the beach huts (or along the path behind) then continue ahead across the tarmac towards the Surf Lifesaving Club to reach a footbridge.
- Cross the bridge and bear left past the Surf Lifesaving Club to reach a flight of steps. Climb the steps and follow the path until it emerges on a track.
- Turn left and follow the track and a short path up a flight of steps to reach a kissing gate.
- Go through the kissing gate and follow the waymarked path ahead until it forks into a pair of grassy paths.
- Keep left at the fork and follow the path to a gap through a bank, shortly before it forks. At the fork, keep left along the well-worn coast path. Follow the coast path across the cliffs until you eventually reach a gate beside a large bungalow.
- Go through the gate and follow the track a short distance to a waymark on the left just past Northcott House.
- At the waymark, bear left onto the path and follow it past another waymark and down to the top of the beach where the road meets the beach.
- After exploring the beach, bear right onto the lane and follow it uphill to a bridleway which departs from the right beside the green Northcott Mouth sign.
- Turn right onto the bridleway and follow it past the parking area to a gate.
- Go through the gate and follow the track along the left hedge to a gateway on the far side of the field.
- Go through the gateway and keep following the track along the left hedge until it eventually ends at a gate onto a lane.
- Go through the pedestrian gate on the right of the gate and continue a short distance along the lane to reach a narrow winding path on the right, just past the wall and before the turning area.
- Turn right and follow the narrow path to emerge onto a track. Keep left to follow the track downhill, passing the houses on your left, until it ends in a junction.
- At the junction, continue ahead and walk inside the wall along the front of the car park to reach the car park entrance on the far side.
- Cross the entrance and join the tarmac path alongside the road. Follow this past Sainsbury’s to a junction at the top of the hill.
- At the junction, cross over the road then keep right onto the main road to pass the No Entry sign and cross over another junction. Continue ahead down the hill, past the Post Office, until the road ends at a junction and roundabout.
- Continue ahead across the roundabout to reach the pavement alongside the river. Bear left and follow the pavement upriver until you reach a junction.
- Turn right at the junction and cross the pedestrian bridge. Follow the road a short distance to the entrance to the car park, to complete the circular walk.
Read more Wednesday Walks HERE.