Brixham and Man Sands Walk
Start and Finish: Sharkham Point Car Park (Directions)
Distance: 4 miles – medium walk
Why not take a trip to Brixham? It’s only a 1 hour drive from us here at East Bowerland Farm. Enjoy a beautiful coastal child and dog friendly (on leads please) walk from Sharkham Point, along coastal paths and through quiet streets.
- Starting from Sharkham Point car park take the Coast Path signed St Marys Bay Beach. Keep to the left when the path divides to St Marys Bay. Steps lead the path around the back of the bay where you will have amazing views of Durl Head and Sharkham Point.
- Cross over a low stile in front of buildings and turn left after 20m into Mudstone Lane and first left into Penn Meadows.
- Keep left at the hospital, then turn right at a T-junction.
- Descend to a crossroads.
- Turn right and, after 100m, left. Ahead is an early 19th-century villa, one of several similar buildings in Higher Brixham.
- Follow Higher Brixhams main street, Drew Street and continue to St Marys church.
- Follow Drew Street on to the Watermans Arms. A short diversion right leads down Horsepool Street, where there are more buildings of interest, including three old farmhouses.
- Return to Drew Street and continue along it. Turn left opposite a three storey thatched house.
- Climb Southdown Hill Road. Ignore side turnings. Reaching Southdown Farm, continue ahead on the footpath signed Southdown Lane Man Sands.
- At a junction, keep left on Man Sands Lane down to the beach of pebbles and shingle, with sand at low tide.
- Turn north and follow the Coast Path steeply up the flank of Southdown Cliff.
- Take a minute to look back at an amazing view of Man Sands flanked by Crabrock Point.
- Continue towards Sharkham Point, there is a memorial which recalls the faithful dog, Murdoch.
- Follow the Coast Path around the point.
- Continue until you meet the path you started out on at a gate.
- Turn left and retrace your steps to the car park.
Read more of our Wednesday Walks HERE.