Bolt Head Walk
Start & Finish : East Soar Car Park, Salcombe, Devon (Map)
Only an hour and a half away from us here at Bowerlands, why not discover the dramatic coast around Salcombe. This 2 to 3 hour journey will first take you around the jagged rocks at Bolt Head. Hugging the beautiful coastline you then drop into the valley and see blue turquoise waters of Starehole Bottom. If you continue along this stretch of the South West Coast Path you will see fantastic views of the Salcombe Estuary.
- Once you’re parked up and ready in East Soar car park, just past Soar hamlet. Walk down the lane to opposite the brick building and turn right, through the gateway, towards Middle Soar. Follow the track, past the buildings of Middle Soar, to reach the warren wall. Continue straight ahead, through the gate and onto the cliffs. Turn left at the signpost, towards Bolt Head.
- Continue your walk along the coast path, through gates and along the lower path (signposted ‘Bolt Head and Salcombe’). After going through another gate you’ll arrive at Bolt Head, with its dramatic jagged rocks. The views from the headland stretch from Dodman Point in the west to Prawle Point in the east.
- Follow the coast path to Salcombe, around the headland and down the slope towards Starehole Bay.
- Return to the coast path, cross the bridge and go through the gate, on your right you will see the ruins of a telegraph cable testing house. Continue along the path towards the crags of Sharp Tor. Follow the path along the cliffs and into Fir Wood. You are now above the treacherous Salcombe Bar which stretches across the ria to Leek Cove.
- Once you reach the road, turn left uphill towards Overbecks, before taking the path on your right into Tor Woods. Keep left along the path, as it winds uphill to offer views of South Sands. Climb the steps out of the woods and follow the path across the fields, through the gate, then turn immediately right. Continue through another gate and follow the edge of the field towards the windsocks until meeting the track to the car park.
- Go through the gate, turn right (to Malborough) and cross two fields. Turn right at the track, and follow it to the car park.
Read more Wednesday Walks HERE.