Bantham to Thurlestone
This week’s Wednesday Walk is in South Devon, taking you through some lush coastline from Bantham to Thurlestone. At 3.5 miles in length it should take you 1-2 hours. About 1.2 hour drive from Bowerland… a little longer if you take the scenic route (map).
- To begin, head to Bantham Beach car park.
- Once you’re ready to set off follow the main track from the car park.
- This will take you past a lifeguards’ hut and a gate and onto a coast path.
- Stay on the path as it brings you towards Thurlestone.
- Head past the gold course and past Broad Sands and Yarmouth Sands.
- Eventually you will reach Leasfoot Sands, after which you need to turn left by the beach safety sign.
- Head past the golf clubhouse and take the left turning onto the road towards Thurlestone.
- When you reach the war memorial you can optionally keep going to reach some local facilities for refreshments.
- When you’re ready to continue, head back to the war memorial and take the track signposted “Public Footpath Bantham 3/4 mile.
- When you reach a church cross over the stone stile beyond it and stay on the way-marked path as it takes you across some fields before heading steeply down to the valley bottom.
- When you reach a stile with a large granite base, head diagonally across the left field and across another stile into Bantham.
- When you reach the Sloop Inn, turn left and follow the road back to the car park you started from.