Aveton Gifford Walk
This week’s walk is a perfect taste of the South Devon countryside near Aveton Gifford. At 5.75 miles in length, it’s a circular walk that should take you 2-3 hours to complete.
- To begin, head to the Memorial Hall car park at Aveton Gifford.
- Turn left out of the car park entrance, and then right at the T-junction that will take you up Church Lane.
- Stay on this lane as it heads to the left, and then as it bends to the right head down a track on the left.
- Head down the footpath, and then across the large field. Cross the stile into the next field.
- At the far end of the second field, bear to the right.
- Cross over the footbridge and the stone stile, before heading up the hill and then to the left side of a large waymarked fence post.
- When you reach the field, turn right through a gate to take you onto a bridleway. Follow the blue waymarkers you’ll find here all the way up the hill.
- At the top you’ll see a fingerpost – turn left to follow the bridleway along the edge of fields and down onto a rocky green lane.
- When you reach Stockadon Farmhouse, bear left, then right past Chestnut and head up the narrow lane to Lixton.
- Turn right and then bear right again.
- When you reach Greyhill Cross, head down the lane opposite and right (which should be signposted “Beer Hill”).
- At the bottom turn left, then right once you reach the bridge to head through a bridleway through woods and a stream.
- You’ll soon reach a house near Idestone. Bear right just before you reach it and turn right onto the road.
- Roughly half a kilometre later take the left fork through some double gates, and then follow the fingerpost arrow across a field and a stile.
- Follow the field edge until you reach a road, turning left and heading up a lane.
- At the T-junction take the right path, bearing right as you head down the road.
- Turn right at the stream, and cut up through the field over the hill all the way to the church on the other side.
- Head through the cemetery, bearing left until you reach the road.
- At Tree Corner, turn left to first reach the village again followed by a right to return you to the car park you started from.
Read more Wednesday Walks HERE.
About the Author: Chris Green manages the office at Bowerland Cottage Holidays and Devon Dogs, using his technical expertise to assist wherever needed. In his spare time he likes playing guitar and bass, and hiking around Dartmoor.