Aveton Gifford Walk, South Devon
This week’s walk is a perfect taste of the South Devon countryside near Aveton Gifford. At 5.75 miles in length, it’s a circular walk that should take you 2-3 hours to complete. About an hour from Bowerland via Exeter (Driving Directions) – or a bit longer via the scenic route. 🙂
- To begin, head to the Memorial Hall car park at Aveton Gifford.
- Turn left out of the car park entrance, and then right at the T-junction that will take you up Church Lane.
- Stay on this lane as it heads to the left, and then as it bends to the right head down a track on the left.
- Head down the footpath, and then across the large field.
- Cross the stile into the next field.
- At the far end of the second field, bear to the right.
- Cross over the footbridge and the stone stile, before heading up the hill and then to the left side of a large waymarked fence post.
- When you reach the field, turn right through a gate to take you onto a bridleway.
- Follow the blue waymarkers you’ll find here all the way up the hill.
- At the top you’ll see a fingerpost – turn left to follow the bridleway along the edge of fields and down onto a rocky green lane.
When you reach Stockadon Farmhouse
- Bear left, then right past Chestnut and head up the narrow lane to Lixton.
- Turn right and then bear right again.
- When you reach Greyhill Cross, head down the lane opposite and right (which should be signposted “Beer Hill”).
- At the bottom turn left, then right once you reach the bridge to head through a bridleway through woods and a stream.
You’ll soon reach a house near Idestone
- Bear right just before you reach it and turn right onto the road.
- Roughly half a kilometre later take the left fork through some double gates, and then follow the fingerpost arrow across a field and a stile.
- Follow the field edge until you reach a road, turning left and heading up a lane.
- At the T-junction take the right path, bearing right as you head down the road.
- Turn right at the stream, and cut up through the field over the hill all the way to the church on the other side.
- Head through the cemetery, bearing left until you reach the road.
- At Tree Corner, turn left to first reach the village again followed by a right to return you to the car park you started from.