A Walk to Overbecks in Devon
Start & Finish: East Soar car park, near Malborough, Devon (Map).
Just over 1.5 hours away from us here at Bowerland, is this easy 30-40 minute walk which takes you along the runway of what used to be RAF Bolt Head. You’ll enjoy panoramic views of the South Hams coast and countryside, and the walk will lead you to Overbecks, an elegant Edwardian house with a hidden paradise of subtropical gardens. The walk finishes outside the Overbecks entrance gates. Please note only assistance dogs are allowed in the house and gardens.
- From the car park, go through the gate to the left of East Soar Farm. Follow the signposts for Overbecks.
- Follow the track that borders the former RAF Bolt Head airstrip until it bends to the right; here you’ll find a gate and signpost.
- Continue through the gate and across the fields, you’re heading for the next gate.
- After the gate turn left and then right, continuing to follow the signs for Overbecks.
- Walk down the hedgerow path until you reach a stile and gate.
- Once over the stile, and through the gate, walk straight ahead, following the woodland path.
- As you turn the corner you should see several tree stumps, stand on these and you will just be able to see Overbeck’s sub-tropical gardens.
- The walk finishes outside the entrance gates.
Read more Wednesday Walks HERE.